Saturday, April 16, 2011

Re-cap of Thursday’s Class (4/14/11)


I really enjoyed the way class was taught on Thursday. Taking specific passages from the reading and speaking about it class was commendable because not only were we engaging in discussion (which is something I love to do) but we were also given the opportunity to share our individual interpretation of the readings. I do not know how Professor Dean went about choosing the passages we spoke about but they were right on the money because they were all passages I needed clarification about.  I learned a lot especially in regards to the whole 'autonomy' thing Berardi spoke about. I also got a better understanding of Berardi’s critique about connection and conjunction. Not to mention the weird terminology (flexibilization & fractionalization).

However, a point that I do not think we touched upon in class is Berardi’s argument about history being seen as “an infinite series of bifurcations” and we are victims to “concatenations” (Berardi 8). This got me thinking about one of the essay questions, more specifically question 1. We are really quick to dismiss the idea of technology taking over humanity as mere fantasy but as I thought about what Berardi said, I began to question how much of a fantasy it really is. If we are already 'succumbing' to technology, putting them in an implicit position of power, who is to say that in 10 years technology would really be in power.

No comments:

Post a Comment