Thursday, March 24, 2011

March 24th Class in Real Time

When I walked into class the first thought that came mind was, where the hell is the professor. After someone in class told me what was on the blog I could not help but laugh because it found it very funny that we were 'ditched' and told to fend for ourselves.

Moving on to the class discussion, we decided to talk about the chapters and get everyone's take on what they thought about the chapters. We first spoke about chapter 6 and distaste what we believed what Andrejevic's main point in this chapter was. I raised the question I had on my blog as to why Andrejevic viewed the use of technology for political mean was a bad thing because it would allow us to get a better understanding about the politicians we are electing.

Brian and Tim raised the point that politician can use technology to target certain people and ultimately not have a particular stance on anything because they can send different messages to different people and when they are elected this allows for them to do as try please. Jamar also chimed in and told me that it is similar to the 'big brother' position commercial entities use. In other words just because technology is available it does not mean we will have the ability to monitor the politicians who are monitoring us. Additionally, Katherine brought up the feedback loop of fear which is basically what I was talking about on my blog.

We touched on chapter 7 but it did not generate as much of a discussion as chapter 6 did. I found it very difficult to blog and speak at the same time because I needed to gather my thoughts which could not be done by participating and listening to the discussion. However, I came up with a strategy of taking notes during the class discussion, after our discussion is over and everyone is starting to blog I organized my thoughts and wrote about what we discussed. Overall, the class discussion went pretty well everyone seemed to agree on what was being said and it also allowed for any confusion about the reading to be cleared up. Honestly, I actually like the "class teaching the class" idea because we were better engaged when it was amongst us.

3 comments:

  1. I thought you would like this--you seem to like intense debate a lot more than guided discussion, the more intense the better.

    Interesting "slip" in the second paragraph: you use the word "distaste". what did you have in mind. Why do you think this word came out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I definitely do. I feel intense debate pushes you to further analyze thing and forces you to pay more attention to those speaking...it kind of gives me a rush.

    I had in mind to say "tried to decide." I think it came from the "noise" surrounding me, during blogging segment of the class some people were still talking about the chapters as well as their feelings about the experiment and I guess picked it up. This is a perfect example of how noise can interrupt the flow of information.

    ReplyDelete