Thursday, February 3, 2011

Questions for Thought

Today's class was pretty interesting, I like that we all were able to bring a variety of perspectives to the table. It made the discussion much more enjoyable. Below are the questions that I had for the class:

1)  Has technology dumbed down/replaced, part of our collective humanity?

2) After reading Part 2 and 3, I got the idea that Lanier was blaming the Facebook/Twitter generation for the negative affects that file sharing has on our society, more specifically the music industry. Did any of you view it that way? Why?

2 comments:

  1. 1.) I think technology has actually made our life easier. Yes, in many ways many people don't take time to really think deeper into things nowadays and we have become a bit lazier due to massive information online. Information that is also very easy to access! However, I think that because of the internet we are able to actually learn more due to the massive amount of information the Internet offers! Thanks to the Internet it is easier to complete our research papers and etc.

    2.)I kind of got that sense. However, I disagree with Lanier although I understood his points. I actually believe that Facebook and Twitter have been some of the most positive inventions of the Internet! Its amazing the connections people gain through social networking!

    Great questions Shane! What is your input on these questions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1)I agree. I feel that technology has made our lives more convenient and has allowed us to explore and expand on resources, but I do feel it is a gift and a curse because many people are relying so much on technology to the extent that they tend to neglect how to do things outside of technology.

    2) I honestly think had it not been for Facebook/Twitter, we would be less informed about concerts, celeb appearances and things of that nature. So these networks are beneficial to the music industry. Also I think file-sharing is a movement by itself, not just because of facebook or twitter.

    ReplyDelete